Friday, May 25, 2012

Communication Goals

According to the assessments this week, my husband (Brian), my friend (Paula), and I assessed my communication anxiety levels, verbal aggressiveness, and listening styles. 

(My husband, Brian, and I at a soccer game!)
The area of communication anxiety had diverse answers.  My husband grouped me in the low category.  He stated that I was confident and comfortable.  He also said that I act comfortable in a variety of situations.  My friend, Paula, placed me in the mild category.  She stated that I appear as though little rattles me, but she knows from conversations that I get annoyed when interacting with some people that say rude comments about people with special needs or make racial comments.  I placed myself in the moderate category.  This stated that I have situational anxiety.  I would say that this assessment was correct.  I feel comfortable speaking to others in most situations; however, I feel uptight when discussing hot topics for me (such as special education or racial issues).  It annoys me when others make rude comments about people with disabilities or are racist.  I often state that I disagree and tell them why.  However, I have to make an effort to stay in control and not to stoop to their ignorant level by yelling.  My verbal aggressiveness scores were moderate and low.  I have to make an effort to remain calm in these situations. 

My communication goals were: to know my audience, choose the appropriate communication channel, and demonstrate receptive body language. 

Hopefully by improving these skills, I will become an effective communicator. 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    You had similar results to me on the Communication Anxiety Inventory. The results from myself, my husband, and my co-teacher, also fell on three different levels. So that is where I focused my attention as I wrote our application and my goals this week.

    I appreciate the reflections that you share here as you processed through this particular inventory and thinking about situational anxiety. You expanded honestly on how you often feel in different situations. As I was taking that test I kept thinking "it depends on who I am with" or "it depends on what is going on" with every question! Sure enough, my own results put me in the moderate category and (no surprise) having situational anxiety.

    The first step to change is seeing and acknowledging what needs to change. I wish you the best in the goals that you have created for yourself in order to become a more competent and effective communicator.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It amazes me how others perceive each of us and how we perceive them regardless of how long we have known each other. One of the boys that I foster was willing to assist with this assignment as well as one of the parents whose child is enrolled in my child care. The results surprised me in some ways, as each of them saw me as being more confident speaking in public than I actually feel I am.

    ReplyDelete