Friday, May 4, 2012

Communication 6165


Blog Week 1 6165

For your blog this week, think of someone (e.g., family member, celebrity, politician, friend, or professor) who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context. What behaviors does this person exhibit that make him or her effective? Would you want to model some of your own communication behaviors after this person? Why or why not?

My Dad and my uncle, Roger. 
On Tuesday of this week, we had the funeral visitation for my uncle.  Since he was a loved individual and was very young, the funeral home was packed with people.  The death of a loved one often makes people uncomfortable and they do not know what to say to the grieving family.  During this time, I listened to my father “chat” with people and make comforting remarks to people.  He is very much aware of the feelings of others and can “read” people well.  He makes good eye contact, is an active listener, and is very honest.  My father is very knowledgeable about numerous topics and people often look to him to advice.  I would definitely wish to model my own communication behaviors after my father.  He relates well to people, is comforting, and he makes people feel that what they have to say is interesting and important to him.  I love talking to my Dad! 

*On a side note, my oldest son had a hard time watching my parents and grandpa cry at the funeral.  I talked to him about why they were sad and I thought that he understood.  At the funeral, he gave my Aunt a hug and told her, “I am sorry for your sad times, but I hear Heaven is a beautiful place”.  I also admire the honesty and youthful approach that my son takes when talking to others.  He is a good boy!     

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!
    It sounds as if you have had an emotional and a busy week. I love reading about your reflections about your father and his ability to connect to and communicate with others. It is very satisfying to step back, slow down, and really watch interactions like you did with your father. Sometimes I think we go so busily about our lives that we miss these most basic courtesies of life. You are blessed to have a father with such warmth and compassion and I can only imagine that he is also a wonderful grandfather to your children. Great to see you again in a class --

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I am sorry for your loss. It is really good that your dad can read other individuals so well. I remember when my husband passed away and some of the comments that were said to me and my children. I often wondered what they were thinking (or not thinking) as these comments were made. I think the worst comment made was when someone suggested to me that the wrong parent had died. You never know what is going to come out of someone's mouth (whether they actually mean what they say or they just did not think before saying the comment).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your lost. I know it is always hard to lose a family member. I am glad you were able to see your dad's strength through this hard time. It sounds like your dad is a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete