Saturday, October 27, 2012

WEEK 8 Passion

My Passion: Helping children learn in a way that helps them be (and feel) successful, Help empower parents and help them know their rights (in regards to their child’s education), advocate for children and their families, and teach children how to advocate for themselves.
I feel that my personal experience of my son’s transition out of early intervention services into a developmental preschool setting puts me at an advantage for what problems could arise. For example, I do not believe that the early intervention coordinators or the developmental preschool representatives did a good job informing me about my rights as Owen’s mother, the options for Owen, or even the special education laws. These issues are why I am passionate about helping ease the transition for parents and their child.
Thank you so much for all of the feedback throughout this course. I must say that I am constantly learning new strategies to teach and reinforce anti-bias education. I often try them out on my own children and hope that I continue to learn and want to learn about helping children (and people in general) feel accepted and valued.
THANK YOU!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, You definately sound like your passion shines through from your own experiences. Thank you for reminding me to be mindful of being an advocate for my child as well. He is in early intervention for his speech but your experience has again taught me something new as well. It has been a pleasure learning from you too and hope we continue to help eachother professionally in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your experiences with your son will be so beneficial for early childhood. You make an excellent point about not being properly informed about your rights as a parent. When my son was in his wheelchair for 2nd grade, I learned a great deal about his rights. I am constantly teaching other people who are going through the same thing that they do have rights for their child to go to school and accomodations. I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to our next class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience with your own child is going to greatly benefit you in advocacy for families. I think it is very important that parents are informed of their rights and unfortunately so many do not know how to get that information.
    It has been a pleasure taking this course with you and reading your blogs! Good luck with your future journey!

    ReplyDelete