Friday, November 9, 2012

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community

Blog Assignment: Exploring Roles in the ECE Community
As a developmental therapist, I will be working with children from birth to age three who exhibit developmental delay. My son received early intervention services (OT, PT, DT, and speech). Personally, I know that there was very little support for families to learn the laws regarding special education or transition from early intervention services to a preschool (developmental or general) setting. As my capstone project, I hope to develop a way to help ease the transition for families who are transitioning from early intervention services to a preschool setting. I strongly believe that knowing the laws that pertain to this transition is imperative. In this role, I will need to effectively communicate with families (in order to gain their knowledge about laws and their child’s needs), early intervention agencies (in order to learn what supports are available for families to learn the laws regarding their child’s services), and preschool coordinators (in order to inform families of available programs). Most importantly, the child is impacted by this challenge. Parents can make an informed decision regarding the placement and services for their child.
1. ASK: Parents who have experienced their child’s transition from early intervention services to a preschool setting can provide first-hand feedback. Early intervention agencies, early intervention therapists, and preschool coordinators can also provide information regarding placement and available services. In Indianapolis, agencies such as ASK (About Special Kids) provide support for parents of children with special needs (www.aboutspecialkids.com). Therapists and local support agencies (such as ASK) can also provide resources (such as a list of available related events or services) for the parents. I believe this organization will be a wonderful resource in my role as a developmental therapist. I am a part of a local program for families of children with special needs. I contacted ASK about providing information at our next meeting.
2. Marion County Early Intervention Planning Council: It would also be important to include Marion County Early Intervention Planning Council (M.C.E.I.P.C.) and get their ideas about improving early intervention services. “Early Intervention Planning Council’s goals include: expanding access to and improve the quality, coordination, and range of early intervention programs available in local neighborhoods, communities, and faith-based organizations; providing in-depth training to primary care medical providers, childcare workers, preschool teachers, and public and private school teachers in the assessment of childhood and adolescent risk factors and to help them develop procedures to refer identified children, adolescents, and families to the appropriate community services; expanding access to mental health services for children and families in need; and improving coordination of information and resources for children and adolescents entering the “system” (e.g., first contact with special education, child welfare, mental health, or juvenile justice)” (M.C.E.I.P.C., 2008). The Early Intervention Planning Council is a local organization that focuses on improving services in Indiana, mainly the Marion County area. Indianapolis is located in Marion County. I will be a developmental therapist for First Steps and practice in Marion County. This organization appealed to me because they promote acceptance and diversity. This organization is in the process of promoting minorities to enter the field of early childhood and youth programs.
3. First Steps: I will be working as a developmental therapist for Central Indiana First Steps (www.firststeps.org). First Steps provides therapies (OT, PT, DT, speech, and nutritional support). It serves children from birth to age three. All therapists are placed by an agency. I spoke with an agency this week and they submitted my resume to First Steps to become a developmental therapist. As a developmental therapist, I needed teaching degree with an early childhood focus. I am completing this requirement by obtaining my Master’s in Early Childhood: Teaching and Diversity.
References
ASK, (n.d.). About Special Kids. Retrieved from www.aboutspecialkids.org.
First Steps, (n.d.). First Steps Indiana. Retrieved from www.firststeps.org.
M.C.E.I.P.C. (2008). Plan for Improving Early Intervention Services for Children and Youth and their Families in Marion County.

5 comments:

  1. Great Information! These seem like amazing organizations. That is awesome that your resume was submitted to first steps. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah. You are staying true to the facts that these first three years can set the child up for long term success. Good luck with your application to 'First Steps' and what a great name for a place to work. I know the concern of my students' parents and those I meet through Baby Group so can imagine how important it is to support families that are dealing with developmental challenges.

    Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah, I have heard many wonderful this about the benefit of early intervention services. However I have also seen parent look dumb to hear that they may qualify to receive such services. It’s hard for me to understand why our children are not seen as all of our responsibility, special needs or not they can make the world we live in a better place to live. Good for you, for getting the ball rolling with First Step. If it’s the right thing for you and your family it will happen, Exhale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sarah Thank you for sharing as always your blog is very informative and interesting.The First Step organization will be lucky to have you on their team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I enjoyed reading about your resources. I work closely with First Steps in Central Florida. It is a great organization. Good luck on your endeavors. Deborah

    ReplyDelete