Friday, October 5, 2012

Ableism

My professional background includes teaching special education. This background puts ableism close to my heart. However, it is my role as a mother of a child with special needs that make ableism one of my priorities. It was Owen’s (and my own role as a parent of a child receiving early intervention services) experience with First Steps (early intervention services) therapies (PT, OT, DT, and speech) that sparked my interest in becoming a developmental therapist. This role makes me want to advocate for young children and their families. I have been through Owen’s transition from early intervention services to a developmental preschool setting. If I did not have a professional background in special education, I know that my transition would have been more difficult. I have discussed this issue with friends of mine (through a local parents with special needs organization) about their experiences and their experiences were also rocky. The parents did not know the laws pertaining to the transition and the parent rights. This is one aspect that I am passionate about and view as a form of ableism. All parents should feel empowered and have the right to know what is happening in their child’s education. As a developmental therapist, I hope to ease this transition by telling parents about the options that are available, informing them about parent rights, and by being an active listener if they wish to discuss their concerns. I know from personal experience that it can be beneficial to participate in activities that include children with special needs. This experience helped me talk to other parents about various topics, learn about resources, and help my children learn about a variety of differences. Just this week, I spoke with one of Owen's doctors about his recovery from surgery on his brain this past July. I guess I thought that a physician would know about early intervention services and essentially his early intervention goals. However, I was surprised that many other fields outside of education do not know the laws or even the terminology. This is one aspect of ableism that I hope to change with people that I work with. Here is my reason for wanting to be a developmental therapist: OWEN!!! (and my other babies (Noah and Ella)! Love my kiddos!!!

2 comments:

  1. I was in the school system as a substitute teacher when my son needed a 504 plan because he was in a wheelchair and used a walker for 2nd grade due to a problem with his hip which required an external fixator. I was familiar with the plan. But, like you I have met families that do not know the proper resources that are available to their children and also the laws. I have met several families in the same situation as mine, and did not realize that their child has the right to go to school while they have the fixator. The school must make accomodations. I love how passionate you are about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Awe you're such an awesome mom! You have placed your life around your son's condition to help other children and families that going through similar situations! You seem to show diligence in your work and that leads to say you are very passionate about what you do! I see children in my community who are disabled in many forms but they seem happy and at peace with themselves! Someone is doing the job of making them feel included and that is what matters!

    ReplyDelete