Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 1 (6358)

Hello! We are starting a new class and I am eager to learn new strategies regarding anti-bias education. People can be different a limitless ways. My oldest son this week had to create an anti-bullying poster for their sharing project at school. Noah is in Kindergarten and did not even know what a bully was. I began our conversation with talking about how a bully makes fun of others, what it means to be a good friend, and what to do if he experiences bullying or witnesses it. Noah and I discussed why someone would make fun of others. I told him it was because bullies were making fun of others being different. Noah attends a Catholic school and he decided his poster should say, "Bullies make fun of people because they are different. God made us all different. Be kind." Those were the words of a six year old. Very honest and true. The next day, he asked me if people would make fun of our other son (Owen, age 3)for having a large scar on his head from his recent brain surgery. I told him that some people might. This comment upset him. He asked me why people had to be mean. This is one reason why I hope to become a proactive part of anti-bias education.
(Photo of Noah and Owen in the hospital.)

No comments:

Post a Comment