Friday, August 10, 2012

Exploring My Bias! Photo Collage!

EDUC 6357 Sarah Holtz My PHOTO Collage! • My Professional Background ***My professional background includes teaching special education. In this role, I taught 5th grade inclusion for children with various disabilities (LD, MILD, EH, OHI, etc.). I also taught one year in a self-contained Emotional Disabilities classroom for grades 6-8. I enjoyed both roles very much. I learned that each child learns differently regardless of special education label or even if they have no documented disability. • My Personal Background ***I became a stay-at-home mother when my oldest son, Noah, was one year old. I love this role. After a difficult pregnancy and delivery, we had triplets in December 2008. Owen and Ella joined us at home a few weeks later. Owen has developmental delays, physical disabilities, and several issues with the function and formation of his brain. He received early intervention services (OT, PT, DT, and speech). He is the reason I plan to become a developmental therapist.
• Exploring My Biases ***I am very blessed to have a very diverse family (varying sexes, races, sexual orientation, religions, cultures, ability). These differences are beautiful and I love my family! (PHOTO: Hunting for pumpkins! So much love!)
• Going Deeper… ***My son, Owen, recently had surgery on his brain at a local pediatric hospital. People travel long distances for the premium care that they receive at Riley Children’s Hospital. I had the opportunity to meet people from various cultures. In this experience, culture refers to many different aspects. Culture includes (but is not limited to) many factors such as heritage, race, sexual orientation, religion, financial status, and even medical history.
***While at the hospital, I met several wonderful families. One area that I noticed made me uncomfortable was communicating with children who are non-verbal. My son has limited vocabulary, so this realization was unsettling to me. However, I believe that my discomfort stems from lack of confidence in my skills to effectively communicate with them.
Photos: Owen and his buddy, Jacob. Jacob and Owen are three years old. Owen has Traumatic Brain Injury, Diffuse White Matter Loss, and Erb’s palsy. Jacob has Cerebral Palsy. They love to play together! ***www.thejacksoncenter.org*** • MY PLAN… ***Last week, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit a school (The Jackson Center for Conductive Education). My friend’s son, Jacob, attends the school. Jacob is three and has cerebral palsy. Jacob has a very limited vocabulary. Several of Jacob’s classmates were non-verbal. I was so pleased to learn new skills, watch therapists/teachers show parents new strategies to use with their children, and gain some new strategies to more effectively communicate with children who are non-verbal. I watched my friend, Paula, learn how to utilize a “word button” to allow Jacob to communicate his needs. Jacob used a “yes” and “no” button when asked questions. I look forward to learning so much more through visiting this center and watching Jacob (and his older sister) overnight in September. I believe that by gaining confidence and learning new strategies, I will be a more skilled developmental therapist (my future profession)!

5 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Beautiful collage! You have a gorgeous family! I also get uncomfortable around children who are nonverbal. I work across the hall from a preschool autistic program and they have a little boy who is nonverbal. I found myself getting stressed because I was not sure how to communicate with him at first. Thank you for your amazing post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great point when you wrote about feeling uncomfortable around nonverbal children. It can be awkward because unless we are told or trained to work with non-verbal children, it can be difficult to know exactly what to do. It can be an awkward feeling. I think it is great that you were able to visit a school and were able to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, your family is truly an example of diversity. I love your collage. Nonverbal children are a challenge to teach when you lack the training and understanding. I was placed as the inclusion teacher as a first year and I did not have the tools or know what to do to effectively meet the needs of two non verbal students in my class. I commend you for trying to learn as much as you can so you are better prepared. All teachers should be trained so we are able to reach all of our students. Great Blog Post!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful collage Sarah and I love it. I agree with your view about the broad nature of culture. I think our failure at times to see culture beyond the boundaries of heritage, race, sexual orientation, religion, financial status, and even medical history is responsible for not adequately valuing the differences found in other people. Great post.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy reading your posts Sarah. It was all very informative as well. I would love to hear what other tools or ideas you find out later on. I hope to become a developmental therapist as well so I'd love to learn more about this along with you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete