Monday, July 9, 2012

Week 3 EDUC 6357

QUESTION #1 How you would respond to a parent/family member who informed you they did not want anyone who is perceived (or self-reported) homosexual or transgender to be caring for, educating, and/or interacting with their child. I actually had this happen. My husband has a very large Catholic family. Some of his aunts and uncles are very strict in their religious beliefs and frown upon homosexuality. I am also Catholic, but am very liberal in my views. At one Christmas gathering, one of his uncles was talking to several of his siblings and their spouses. Several of Brian's aunts and uncles are in the education field. His uncle knew that I was a teacher and simply stated that he did not want "gays teaching his only child". I simply asked him why he felt that way. He stated that he did not think sexual thoughts should go into a school setting. I told him that just because someone is homosexual it does not mean that they think about sex all the time. I asked him if he would rather have a caring, creative homosexual teacher or a rude, careless heterosexual teacher for his child. He responded that he guesses that he would want the caring one. I know that I did not change his overall views, but maybe he opened his mind for a bit. QUESTION #2 If you have ever used or heard homophobic terms such as "fag," "gay," "homo," "sissy," "tom boy," or "lesbo" as an insult by a child toward another child? Or, by an adult toward a child? Describe what occurred. How might these types of comments influence all children? I taught 5th-8th grade students. When I taught in the junior high school setting, I had all boys in my classroom. I taught in a self-contained Emotional Disabilities classroom. Calling each other "gay" was something that I heard a lot. One day, one of my students, Damien, came to school after a long break. He was in 8th grade and many of the other boys looked up to him. Damien often remarked that the other boys were acting "gay" or an assignment was "gay". The remarks always had a negative connotation and were meant as an insult. Can you imagine if your lifestyle was to root of insults? That would make one become so ashamed of who you are. Damien and I had a good rapport and he trusted me. One day it was his turn to eat lunch in my classroom with my male assistant and myself. Damien told me that his older brother had told him over the weekend that he was homosexual. Damien was having a very hard time with this. He told me that he loved his brother, but thought it was so gross. He did not want the other boys to find out. Later that afternoon, he got into a fight defending another boy (on the bus) that the other students had called "gay". Although I do not condone fighting, I thought it was a good step for Damien in accepting his brother.

5 comments:

  1. I am not sure why my post looks like this, but I tried to fix it! Sorry!!! Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Thank you for sharing your experiences with the topic. The first experience that you mentioned involved your husband's uncle not wanting a homosexual teaching his only child. What I found interesting was that he didn't want the teacher thinking about sex all day, but that it is only associated with homosexuals. I feel like people who are against homosexuality look at people like they are another creature. Why does sexual orientation have anything to do with the way a teacher would teach? I think it is great that you got your husband's uncle to at least think about the situation. That really is the first step in working with diversity. To open someone's mind, just a little bit, lets you know that there is a chance for people to start accepting one another! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, thanks for your post. So many people get caught up thinking that sexual orientation should be hetero and they start using biblical terms to convince homosexuals that they are wrong. I look at it as everyone will give account for their life and it is not our job to judge others. Children are innocent individuals who do not need to conformed to the ways of our world. We need more people who are concerned with their development and well being and who will help them be as diverse as possible without doubting the relationships and partnerships that they may have with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog this week. I would first like to say that my families prayers and best wishes are with your son and family and absolutely hope for the best! I also really liked how you said that even though you do not condone fighting it was important for a young person to learn that you need at accept your family and stand up for them. I truly think that its not just good enough to try and be nice to others, you also have to stand up against thought that hurt others. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. For Damien it was a negative way to take a step in the right direction. Keep in mind that I was teaching in a self-contained Emotional Disabilities classroom. Damien had a lot behavior issues and behavior goals. For him, the little steps really counted.
    Thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete