Friday, March 16, 2012

WEEK 3 Cultural Definition

THREE FRIENDS:
My Brother-in-law Stan:  "My definition of culture is, I guess, that I am a Black man.  I am involved with my family, well my in-laws and my own family.  I am from Indiana, but have lived a lot of places.  I am a Marine."
"My Mom was a single, hard-working mother.  We moved a lot.  I knew she loved me.  After she died, I was pretty lost.  I lived with family, but I was not really involved.  I started to value family when I met your sister."
"Diversity is a mix of different aspects of your life, like race, sex, finances, how many are in your family, if you do stuff with your family."

Matt:  "I guess my culture is that I am a heterosexual, white male.  I am now a single father.  Divorce sucks.  It changes you." 
"Growing up, I tried to avoid my family.  I had a ton of chores on the farm.  I worked hard.  I guess I learned the value of hard work and how it pays off."
"I guess diversity is how mixed up your heritage is, like I am Irish, Scottish mix.  People can be many cultures or races."

My sister Amber:  "My definition of culture is that I am a family-centered, wife and mother.  I love and cherish family.  I am a mixture of a country and city girl." 
"Well, you know my childhood.  Mom and Dad were very loving and involved.  They taught us about God and the values of education.  We knew what they expected, not that I always did that.  I have a lot of good memories of growing up.  I hope my kids have good memories too." 
"Diversity can be any mixture of differences.  The differences can be family structure and dynamics.  My kids are bi-racial.  One way to be diverse is what your family values and stresses the importance of.  That is one example of diversity." 



These conversations made me realize how different peoples' definitions of culture can be.  Some people include race, some include gender, and some people include their values in their definition.  I think that childhood memories and interactions can form a basis for your cultural values.  However, I know that it does not have to make you follow in the path of your past.  For example, my cousins (my Mom's brother's children) grew up in an abusive home.  The parents were addicted to drugs and alcohol.  My parents and grandparents ended up taking my aunt and uncle to court to get custody of the kids.  My cousins went to college and have great family lives.  I am so thankful that my parents and my wonderful grandparents helped them.  Their lives could have been very different. 

3 comments:

  1. You familiy did very good at coming up with social identities and backgrounds that make up their individual cultures! When talking with family and friends during this assignment I noticed that many people had never really been asked about culture and diversity before. Did you notice that too? It seems like these are terms that aren't used enough for awareness purposes. You are so right, your past culture does not need to define your future!!! Great post! I enjoy the family pictures you add!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Sarah! I found the definitions of diversity particularly interesting. They brought out some aspects of it that I had not considered like mixed heritage and family dynamics. It sounds like you have a very interesting family who is very aware of the different influences on their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, great post.I ejoyed each ones comments. I really enjoyed the pictures of the children. Your family seems to be very close.

    ReplyDelete