Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Week 8: Sarah Holtz

Blog: Time Well Spent
(PHOTO: My reasons for wanting to become involved in making a positive difference in education! Noah, Owen, and Ella…)
I began my Master’s journey with a mission to learn about helping parents learn about their child’s education and their own parent rights. As a former special education teacher, I felt that knowing the rights and process was so helpful. As a parent, I belong to an organization called About Special Kids for parents of children with special needs. (I am blessed to have a wonderful, kind-hearted six year old, Noah. Ella is a sweet “girly-girl”. Owen is a hilarious “smile-maker”. Owen and Ella just turned four years old.) At our meetings, I continue to hear personal stories about parent frustrations with special education services or the process of receiving services.
My goals are to become a developmental therapist for First Steps in Indiana as well as continue to be an active member of About Special Kids. I hope to help parents learn about the laws by asking parents during their child’s therapy sessions about what they know regarding the transition process. This can be completed by asking them after the session is complete. I also hope to encourage parents to learn about the laws and parent rights. I believe that this helps them make an informed decision in their child’s education.
I wish you all the best in your professional and personal endeavors as we complete our Master’s journey. Feel free to contact me via Facebook (Sarah Holtz). I may even frequent Facebook more consistently once I am done with school work! Thank you all for the wonderful, helpful feedback. Throughout my Master’s courses, I have learned new ideas, new terminology, and have become more open to the ideas of others. Thank you all for helping me on my educational journey!!!!!!!
BEST WISHES!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I have enjoyed reading all of your blog and discussions. I have two nephews who use First Steps. First Steps is a wonderful organization I also encourage some of my parent to use there service, they did and they are so thankful for there services. You will be great working for them and maybe someday you will be the CEO. Good Luck to you and may GOD bless you and your family.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this photo, Sarah! They look as you describe them: full of giggles, fun and of course amazing potential.

    Thank you for the parent perspective you continually gave to our discussions. All the knowledge in the world cannot compete with experience. Your children have an able and Masters- holding mom! Congratulations!
    The best of the season to you and your family.
    My email is: bobbieholliday@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed taking this journey with you! You have been such an inspiration! I wish you nothing but success! I know you are going to do some amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I enjoy you throughout our educational journey at Walden. I wish you best in your endeavors. You can contact me at debbi@rcma.org-813-707-7465 or Deborah Jones in Facebook. Thanks again for sharing. Yours for sharing..Deborah Jones

    ReplyDelete